1 strange and unconventional behavior
2 (geometry) a ratio describing the shape of a conic section; the ratio of the distance between the foci to the length of the major axis; "a circle is an ellipse with zero eccentricity"
3 a circularity that has a different center or deviates from a circular path [ant: concentricity]
EtymologyFrom Greek εκκεντρικός ekkentrikos, from εκ- ek "from" + κεντρικός kentrikos "of the center, central"
a ratio between distances in a conic section
- Swedish: excentricitet
Eccentricity may refer to:
- Eccentricity (behavior), unusual or odd behavior on the part of a person, as opposed to being "normal"
- Eccentricity (mathematics), a parameter associated with every conic section
- Eccentricity vector
- Eccentricity (graph theory) of a vertex in a graph
- Eccentric contraction, lengthening of muscle fibers
- Eccentric (mechanism), a wheel that rotates on an axle that is displaced from the focus of the circle described by the wheel
- Eccentric position of a surveying tripod to be able to measure hidden points
- Orbital eccentricity, in astrodynamics, calculated from orbital state vectors as an absolute value of eccentricity vector or using other methods based on orbital energy and angular momentum.
- Eccentric anomaly, the angle between the direction of periapsis and the current position of an object on its orbit.
- Eccentric (astronomy), a type of deferent, a circle or sphere used in obsolete astronomical systems to carry a planet around the Earth or Sun.
eccentricity in Tosk Albanian: Exzentrizität
eccentricity in Danish: Excentricitet
eccentricity in German: Exzentrizität
eccentricity in French: Excentricité
eccentricity in Italian: Eccentricità
eccentricity in Hebrew: אקסצנטריות
eccentricity in Dutch: Excentriek
eccentricity in Low German: Exzentrizität (Mehrdüdig Begreep)
eccentricity in Portuguese: Excentricidade
eccentricity in Romanian: Excentricitate
eccentricity in Thai: ความเยื้องศูนย์กลาง
eccentricity in Turkish: Dışmerkezlik
aberrance, aberrancy, aberration, abnormality, abnormity, absurdity, absurdness, amorphism, animus, anomalism, anomalousness, anomaly, aptitude, arrhythmia, asininity, battiness, bent, bias, bizarreness, bizarrerie, brainlessness, brokenness, buffoonery, capriciousness, cast, character, choppiness, clownishness, constitution, crackpottedness, crankiness, craziness, daffiness, derangement, desipience, desultoriness, deviability, deviation, diathesis, difference, disconnectedness, discontinuity, disposition, divergence, drollery, drollness, erraticism, erraticness, fatuity, fatuousness, fibrillation, fickleness, fitfulness, fits and starts, flightiness, fluctuation, folly, foolery, foolheadedness, foolishness, freakishness, frivolity, frivolousness, funniness, giddiness, goofiness, grain, heteromorphism, hilarity, humorousness, idiocy, idiosyncrasy, imbecility, impulsiveness, inanity, inclination, incongruity, inconsistency, inconstancy, individualism, ineptitude, inferiority, insanity, instability, intermittence, irregularity, jerkiness, kidney, laughability, leaning, ludicrousness, lunacy, madness, make, makeup, mental set, mercuriality, mettle, mind, mind-set, mindlessness, mold, monstrosity, moodiness, nature, niaiserie, nonuniformity, nugacity, nuttiness, patchiness, predilection, predisposition, preference, pricelessness, proclivity, propensity, quaintness, queerness, quizzicalness, restlessness, richness, ridiculousness, roughness, sappiness, screwiness, senselessness, set, shiftiness, silliness, slant, spasticity, sporadicity, sporadicness, spottiness, stagger, stamp, strain, streak, stripe, stupidity, subnormality, superiority, temper, temperament, tendency, teratism, the funny side, thoughtlessness, triflingness, triviality, turn, turn of mind, twist, type, uncertainty, undependability, unevenness, unfixedness, unmethodicalness, unnaturalism, unnaturalness, unpredictability, unreliability, unsettledness, unstableness, unsteadfastness, unsteadiness, unsystematicness, variability, variation, variety, wackiness, wantonness, warp, waywardness, weirdness, whimsicality, whimsicalness, witlessness, wittiness, wobble, zaniness, zanyism